Burgess is recruiting a Technical Manager to join the yacht management team in the London office.
Reporting to the Fleet Technical Manager you will provide technical management and support to assigned vessels within the Burgess managed fleet. In this exciting role you will be responsible for the technical aspects of operation and maintenance for a group of large yachts.
The role is based in London and will involve regular foreign travel.
- Technical Management of assigned vessels including Yachts, Passenger Yachts and Passenger Ships.
- Adhere to all approved technical, safety and security procedures and contribute to their development; update technical contact information on company IT systems and manage any relevant technical documentation.
- Provide interpretation of Class Rules and other related regulations; Monitor class survey schedules and requirements; Liaise with attending Class and Flag surveyors to ensure all items are dealt with satisfactorily.
- Promote the effective use of PMS systems and appropriate conditioning monitoring techniques; assist with establishing Planned Maintenance Systems and ensure PMS contains all flag, class, builders, manufacturers and company requirements.
- In partnership with the Yacht Manager, create a long term plan of major works.
- Review all reported significant defects and introduce measures to prevent recurrence.
- Assist with arranging dry dockings and refits; assist with the creation of refit specifications, shortlist suitable shipyards and tendering process; monitor refit costs, quality and schedules; attend on-board yacht or at shipyard for planning and progress meetings as required; provide support with warranty claims on completion of build or refit.
- Provide general technical and commercial advice and guidance; provide assistance with Emergencies & Insurance Claims.
- Review any relevant manufacturer’s bulletins and service publications relating to on-board main machinery and ensure any remedial actions required are undertaken.
- Assist with requests for urgent spares or services and manage the relevant logistics.
- Ensure an adequate fluid sampling and analysis programme is adhered to. Review fluid analysis reports, provide advice as required ensuring any resulting actions required are dealt with on a priority basis in line with maintenance or refit planning.
- Ensure all yachts lifting gear is regularly inspected and certified.
- Provide concise Status reports for your assigned yachts to the Yacht Manager as required.
- Undertake regular Technical Inspections on-board and ensure all items raised during inspections are clearly reported and followed up.
- Ensure any costs related to Technical Management services have prior approval by the Yacht Manager.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK.
- Formal Education in Marine/Engineering/Naval studies to degree level or relevant Chief Engineer Certificate of Competence.
- Shoreside superintendent experience or similar role would be beneficial.
- Previous experience of passenger vessels is essential, knowledge or experience of passenger yachts or large yachts would be beneficial.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at all levels (dealing with Captains, Chief Engineers, Chief Officers, Owners Representatives and colleagues).
- Effective at problem solving and multi-tasking.
- Sound knowledge of Classification, Flag, ISM/ISPS, SOLAS, Passenger Yacht Code, Large Yacht Code.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Proficiency in other languages may be beneficial.
- Ideally the candidate will already be living within commutable distance to London.
- Good sense of humour.
- A self-starter capable of working independently but also collaborating as part of a busy multi-functional team.
- Able to travel worldwide.