We are looking for a Technical Manager to join the yacht management team in their Central London office.
Burgess, the market-leading full-service superyacht company are looking for a Technical Manager to join the yacht management team in their Central London office. The successful candidate will be a qualified marine engineer who has sailed as a Chief Engineer on large yachts or as Second Engineer on cruise ships. Previous shore based experience with a yacht or ship management company would be an advantage.
The role is based in London but may involve regular foreign travel. Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK.
The job holder will provide technical oversight, guidance and support to yacht managers for a number of vessels as allocated. This will include:
- Technical management in accordance with the provisions of the underlying Yacht Management Agreement.
- Verifying that the machinery and engineering systems on each yacht are operated and maintained in compliance with the Company’s Safety Management System and the ISM Code (where appropriate).
- Review monthly maintenance reports and follow up as required.
- Review defect reports and provide the yacht with guidance and support to rectify. Consider any requirements to notify Flag or Class.
- Undertake periodic yacht visits. Report and follow up all items and issues as identified.
- Create a long-term plan of major works for each yacht.
- Assist with the initial assessment of potential insurance claims including initial investigation, extent of damage, insurability, and probable consequences.
Assist with arranging routine dry dockings and maintenance periods/ This includes:
- Development of the refit specification
- Identifying suitable shipyards and seeking tenders for contract
- Reviewing tenders and checking for compliance against service and contractual requirements
- Attend refit planning and progress meetings on board the yacht or in the shipyard as necessary
- Provide support with the rectification or resolution of any warranty claims following redelivery
- Participate in an emergency support rota providing 24/7 technical support for 2 or 3 months p.a.
- Represent the Company at boat shows and other trade events or meetings
- Any other task reasonably requested
Personal attributes and qualifications
- STCW 111/2 Certificate of Competency (Second Engineer) Unlimited or
- STCW 111/3 Certificate of Competency (Chief Engineer) <3,000kW, together with 2 yrs service as Chief Engineer
- STCW 111/” Certificate of Competency (Chief Engineer) Unlimited
- Membership of a relevant professional body
Experience and ability
- Seagoing experience as an engineer on Cruise ships or Large Yachts
- Skilled communicator - verbal and written, able to communicate with people at all levels in a wide range of professional and social situations, tactful and diplomatic
- Proficient with the use of business IT systems, computer and cloud based apps
- Competent at problem solving
- Willing to work as a member of a team
- Effective manager – Maximising use of own time
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
- Resident with maximum 1.5 hours commuting distance from central London
- Able to travel worldwide at immediate notice
- Good sense of humour
Closing date: 18 August 2020