The Burgess x Blue Marine initiative was born out of a desire to give back, to leverage the business to support ocean conservation was the natural next step. From the first discussions with the Blue Marine team through to launch in 2020, this work has been driven by the Burgess Blue Oceans team and supported by the Burgess Management Board.
'We pride ourselves on strong corporate governance in Burgess,' says Georgina. 'A project like this is only possible with dedication and hard work from the bottom up and an acceptance of our corporate social responsibility from the top down. We have a great team and in Blue Marine we have an ideal partnership.'
Clare Brook, Blue Marine’s CEO, says, 'Blue Marine is delighted that Burgess is encouraging their clients to take account of their environmental impact through this exciting initiative. Burgess’ donations will support our projects in the Maldives and the Mediterranean, working to safeguard marine life from overexploitation. Together we can and will affect postive change.'
Blue Marine’s mission is to see at least 30 percent of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70 percent managed in a responsible way. They work using a combination of top-down intervention to improve governance of our seas and bottom-up project delivery to help local communities who are at the front line of ocean conservation.
Key strategic interventions include securing marine protected areas to ensure the protection of at least 30 percent of the ocean by 2030; developing models of sustainable fishing proving that low-impact fishing benefits marine life, local fishers and communities; and restoring marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species and to sequester carbon.